- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook the onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured.
- Add the pumpkin or squash to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour the stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
- Pour the double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency you can pour the soup through a fine sieve. The soup can now be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To make the croutons: cut the bread into small squares. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp. Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few mins more until they are toasted. These can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container.
- Reheat the soup if needed, taste for seasoning, then serve scattered with croutons, Ibérico ham and seeds and drizzled with more olive oil, if you want.
La Abadía Ibéricos - Jamones y productos ibéricos desde 1889